With the prevalence of breast cancer increasing, there are more women undergoing radiation, chemotherapy and surgery. The side effects caused by these treatments and surgeries indicate that there is a greater need for an holistic approach after surgery and a patient need to return to normal functioning, with a good quality of life.
One of these modalities is physical activity usually completed along with your Biokineticist. This may be a combination of land based and water based exercises, which include but are not limited to stretches, strength exercises, core exercises, posture and balance work. Once you have completed your physiotherapy sessions and your doctor has cleared you for exercise, please feel free to contact your Biokineticist.
A programme designed by a Biokineticist, which is tailored specifically for you and your needs, would help in the following ways:
- Increase bone density lost by decreased oestrogen and the various treatments,
- Improve fatigue and help energy gains,
- Improve neuromuscular strength,
- Increase muscle mass and help body composition,
- Improve range of motion and flexibility,
- Improve cardiopulmonary fitness and capacity,
- Improved immune function,
- Manage stress and emotions by allowing a physical outlet,
- Decrease deaths associated with the breast cancer by 50-53% and
- Improve quality of life and activities of daily living.
We would love to get to know you, to listen to your story and to get you moving again!